For a copy of any of the sessions listed please contact Chris Banas, Educational Programs Administrator at 301.961.8816.
10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
14: ERM from Concepts to Implementation
- In this case study, hear how a $3.6B private label credit card bank successfully implemented a full ERM program in a period of 90 days. Learn the step-by-step process from design to implementation. Key obstacles encountered, success factors, and the current status of this program will also be discussed.
- Michael F. Robey, Vice President and Chief Risk Officer, Alliance Data
- Edmund Green, CTP, CPA, Senior Manager, KPMG, LLP
21: Overcoming a Risky Location - Risk Management and Disaster Recovery Experiences from Hurricane
- Managing operational risk is one of the most challenging areas of corporate risk management. This session provides a glimpse into ANICO's real world experience dealing with operational risk. Learn what enabled the company to respond and recover from the devastating effects of Hurricane Ike. The challenges the company faced led to lessons learned in how to identify, assess, manage and monitor operational risk.
- Candace M. Carlton, Cash Manager, American National Insurance Co.
23: Counterparty Credit Risk Reporting Process
- Counterparty risk is one of the top issues facing businesses today. How do finance professionals effectively mitigate counterparty risk given the current lack of credibility of public ratings? Hear from a risk manager from a large tech company as to the process and systems they utilized to create reports that monitors existing and potential exposures of their derivatives transactions and counterparties.
- Dave Smith, Ph.D., CFA, Director, Financial Risk Management, Adobe Systems
1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
28: Mitigating Corporate Credit Risk: Best Practices for Customer Selection and Risk Reviews
- The credit crunch has drawn much attention to how corporations and lending institutions evaluate, manage and monitor risk. Organizations that cannot appropriately access and manage credit risk will incur more bad debt than they can likely bear. Attend this session to learn how leading organizations are evaluating risk associated with new customers and instituting policy to proactively track the credit worthiness of existing customers.
- C.J. Wimley, Group Vice President, Global Order-to-Cash Solutions, SunGard
- Molly Pryor, Assistant Treasurer, Huntsman Corporation
- Robert Olsen, Vice President and Chief Risk Officer, Wright Express
- Jerry Drake, Director, Credit & Collections, Apogee Enterprises
30: What to Think About Before You Hedge
- This session will explore the steps to be taken before executing a hedge to ensure that your hedges will meet your economic objectives as well as achieve favorable accounting treatment under FAS 133 and FAS 157. Key points to include in your loan documents, ISDA schedules, bid packages and term sheets will be discussed. Counterparty selection will also be explored.
- Matthew Finigan, Manager, Corporate Treasury, Toys R Us Inc.
- Amol Dhargalkar, Director, Chatham Financial
37: Hedging in Volatile Times
- The unprecedented volatility and uncertainty in the financial markets has presented extraordinary challenges to treasurers across the globe. This session will examine best practices of Google's recent experiences as they navigated through turbulent times while aggressively ramping up their treasury department. From exposure management to hedge accounting, the lifecycle of a hedge will be analyzed. An update on OTC Derivative Reform will also be provided.
- Jiro Okochi, Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder, Reval
10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
65: The New Liquidity Diet: How to Manage FX Risks to Cut Costs and Preserve Liquidity
- With corporate credit standards tightening at 85% of banks, loan officers are spending less time making loans and more time reducing risk. Companies need to sell lenders on their ability to manage their risks in a time of unprecedented uncertainty. Learn how effectively managing risks--and proactively communicating your strategy to creditors--can help to ensure liquidity for your organization. Based on real-world examples of foreign exchange risk management and communication strategies, determine how to strengthen relationships with creditors and instill confidence in organization's ability to manage risks.
- Sherry A. Bridell, CTP, Senior Treasury Analyst, ADC
- Randhal Finnessy, CTP, Vice President & Treasurer, Flir Corporation
- Wolfgang Koester, Chief Executive Officer, FiREapps
- Dawnette Blake, FX Manager, Agilent Technologies
2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
85: FX Risk Management as a Value Driver
- This session will discuss the impact that FX risk has on consolidated earnings and cash flows, the benefits of a centralized risk management approach, and a template for gathering forecasted cash flow data that can provide insight into a company's net exposure. Additionally, we will explore how VaR analysis can be used to make more informed decisions when hedging forecasted cash flows.
- Neil Dougherty, Assistant Treasurer, Agilent Technologies, Inc.
- Matt Matthews, Managing Director, JP Morgan
3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
101: Emerging Trends and Techniques to Combat and Detect Fraud Risk with Today's Technology
- Transaction Risk Identification and Analysis (TRIA) allows an auditor to review a company's key sub-ledgers to identify the transactions with a higher profile risk, and to perform both proactive and reactive risk assessments to uncover trends, patterns, and other information of interest. This presentation will examine how an internal auditor may test whether a control weakness has resulted in actual control failure or whether it is simply a theoretical possibility.
- Jeremy A. Dane, Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Vorapong Sutanont, Manager, PricewaterhouseCoopers
104: Is Your Bank Sound, and Are Your Deposits Safe?
- Hear practical information to help evaluate the strength of banks in order to avoid service disruptions and/or loss of deposits. Guidance will focus on key financial measures of bank strength (e.g., capital ratios) and government capital requirements, the diversity and quality of a bank's loan portfolio and questions a treasury manager should ask in standard bank relationship meetings.
- Debra Roe, CTP, AAP, Corporate Treasury Manager, CUNA Mutual Group
- Elizabeth Schweger, CCM, Senior Vice President Treasury Management, U.S. Bank
9:15 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
136: Pragmatic Approaches for Managing FX Risk in an Operational Context
- This session will examine how FX risk management decisions are made, identify methodologies for FX risk quantification, and review how appropriate FX risk management responses are developed. The presentation will address critical components of an effective FX risk management program, balancing the tradeoffs between protecting economic value and minimizing reported earnings volatility, building methodologies for measuring FX risk, and evaluating various hedging instruments.
- Amarjit Sahota, Chief Executive Officer, HiFX Risk Management, Inc.
- Jody Gentemann, CPA, Senior Financial Analyst, People to People Ambassador Programs